Photos from this year’s race are being added daily. We’d love for you to add yours, too! On the photo album page, click on Add to this Album and upload your photos. You can also feel free to download any photos that you want.
Joe’s Big Race 2018
Save the Date
The 13th Annual Joe’s Big Race will take place on Saturday, April 21, 2018. All proceeds of the race will go toward Financial Aid for Camp Roger Summer Camp programs.
2018 JBR Teams
- Branded By Fire – Luke Brandsen, Jenna Brandsen, Jeremy Brandsen, Camilla Bjelland
- The Brotherhood – Joshua Brink, Tony Norlin, Edwin Teeple, Dan Felder
- Kindawannabeatcha – Matthew Falk, Rick Hekman, Jim Peterson, Faith Van Oss
- Operation Thunderhawk – Chad Maghielse, Nic Veldkamp, Peter Sarantos, Christa Veldkamp
- Roundhouse – Aaron Elzinga, Reuben Sportel
- Sarcastic Four – Rick Koenes, Jim Gort, Nathan Koenes, Philip Gort
- Ski Lift Monsters – Marc Schra, Hannah Mennega, Jack Mennega, Eric Veldkamp
- Sleeping Bears – Evan Legge
- Space Cowboys – Ronald Hedgcock, Jake Dabkowski, Aiden Wysocki, Avery Jennings
- Tenderfoot – Zack Vandenberg, Scott VanTimmeren, JJ Zeilstra, JB Vandenberg
- Welding Toad – Elena Groenenboom, Erin Boersma, Susannah Boersma, Rachel HarkemaBears
- Whip Whip – John Vanderploeg, Kevin A. Little, Emily Nagy, Noel Hayden
What is Joe’s Big Race?
Teams of four participate in a day of challenges which require a combination of physical ability, mental skills, and luck. Teams can be any age or gender, however, the challenges are geared to adult racers. Each team must raise a minimum of $1000 in sponsorship funds to participate in the race. With your help, financial aid assistance will be provided to families, eliminating income as a barrier to experience Camp Roger.
Joe’s Big Race was created in fond memory of “Indian Joe” Cizauskas, who was a kind neighbor to Camp Roger and a true keeper of the land, but honestly never raced anywhere that we know of. The race started out as an idea for big fun, but has become an integral part of bringing kids to camp.
Here are a few things our summer camp families had to say about the impact financial aid made in their children’s lives:
“I would like to thank you for allowing my daughter to be a part of this amazing camp. Without the funding you provide she would not be able to attend and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for making her dreams come true.”
“I just want to thank the camp for giving me a scholarship so I was able to go on the (Voyager) trip. I know that all of the experiences I have had and things I learned will help me in life. I just wanted to say thank you again for letting me have such a great time.”
“My children were able to attend Camp Roger this summer due to the generous reduction of fees that is made available to low income families. I am a single parent and appreciated that my boys were able to attend your camp.”
Joe’s Big Race is an “amazing race” style competition and the primary fundraiser of Camp Roger to raise needed support for the Annual Financial Aid Fund. Thanks to the generous support of so many, Joe’s Big Race provided over half of the 2017 financial aid funds given to families. THANK YOU!
Teams, download the team information guide (PDF link) with all the necessary race information. Once you sign up, you will receive specific information as it becomes available.
JBR Corporate Sponsors
Would you like to support Camp Roger in a more meaningful way? Consider being a JBR Corporate Sponsor. Details can be found on the JBR sponsorship form (PDF link). Thank you for supporting campers and groups!
Donate Online Today
Mail Personal Checks to:
8356 Belding Road
Rockford MI 49341
Write “JBR2018” on a note and
include the Team Member name
or Team Name (if designated).