Invest in your child’s education through outdoor experiences! This monthly opportunity allows homeschooled students further space to grow in faith and community – in a world of forests, lakes, and wetlands. Our experienced staff teaches children to explore and love God’s world and to be good stewards of what He has given us, while using the outdoors as a classroom to explore.
- To provide students with quality instruction in outdoor education
- To present material from a Christian perspective
- To engage children in a different topic each month
- To point students toward a great God and the proper role we have in caring for His world
Elementary program: These classes are for children ages 6-12 by the first class in September. This program runs once a month through May. Families may choose Monday through Friday and come consistently on that day. Class size is limited to 45 students on each day. If all the classes fill there may be another day added the following week on Wednesday. Students may choose a friend or two to be grouped with. Groups will be co-ed and made up of different ages. Classes meet from 9am-2pm. Parents provide sack lunch and transportation.
Junior High program: These classes are for children ages 12-15 by the first class in September. This program runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays once a month through May. Families may choose a day and come consistently on that day. Class size is limited to 45 students. Students may request a friend or two to be grouped with and groups are co-ed and made up of different ages. Classes meet from 9am-2pm. Parents provide sack lunches and transportation.
Both programs will meet at Camp Roger one day per month from September through May. Elementary students may sign up for the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday OR Friday class. Junior high students may sign up for a Tuesday or Thursday (of the following week) class. There will be a limit of 45 students for each day.
Classes are from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Families are responsible for providing sack lunches and transportation.
Elementary topics and dates for 2016-2017:
- September 12-16: Exploring the Land
- October 10-14: Basic Survival Skills
- November 14-18: Animal Classification
- December 12-16: Water and the Wetlands
- January 16-20: Winter Recreation
- February 13-17: Maps and Charts
- March 13-17: Native Americans and Early Settlers
- April 10-14: Earthkeeping and Pollution
- May 8-12: The Journey
Junior High topics and dates for 2016-2017:
- September 20, 22: Team Building/Physical Fitness
- October 18, 20: Hunting/Trapping/Fishing/Poaching
- November 22, 23 (Weds. Due to Thanksgiving): Water Ecology
- December 20, 22: Survival and the Valley Forge Simulation Challenge
- January 24, 26: Winter Recreation
- February 21, 23: Earthkeeping/Conservation/Forestry
- March 21, 23: Epic Camp Games and Challenges
- April 18, 20: Weaponry/Tools/Finding Food in the Woods
- May 16, 18: Adventure Course
Contact Deb or Scott for more information!
Scott De Young is our new Director of Outdoor Education at Camp Roger. Prior to working at camp, Scott was a classroom teacher for over 14 years. He trains his staff to be knowledgeable about the subject matter and hires only those who love children and strive to reflect the love of God to them.
2017 Registration (Begins April 15, 2017)
Enrollment begins on April 15 and is on a “first come, first served” basis. Forms will be available at 5pm on April 14. When days fill up you may request to be put on a waiting list. To hold your spot in a class, please print off the registration form and participation form and submit them by mail or drop them off in the office with the enrollment fee. Please feel free to call Deb in the office at 616-874-7286 with any questions or to check for available spots; however, enrollment cannot be guaranteed over the phone. Send in your registration and participation form.
Cost TBD. Payment is due at the time of enrollment. Spots cannot be held over the phone. A confirmation letter will be sent after we receive your registration and payment. Registration forms will be available on April 15, 2017.
You may request that your child be in a group with a friend (maximum of two). We ask that this be done on the registration form. Groups are made prior to the first class in September and friend requests or group changes are not accepted after that.
Cancelling before September 1 will incur a $25 administrative fee. The remainder of your fee will be refunded. Refunds will not be given for cancellations after September 1. Registrations are non-transferable.